­
Bob Nudd

Kevin Andrews Masterclass Day Decoy lakes

brilliant catch Kevin

brilliant catch Kevin

This was a special 40th birthday present from Kevin’s mum Karen. His fishing friend Andy had also come along for the day. The wonderful Decoy Lakes near Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire was the chosen venue. Diane the owner had kindly allowed them to use keepnets.

Kevin with his first fish

Kevin with his first fish

It was a warm overcast morning with a moderate westerly wind with a threat of showers later in the day. Cedar lake was free so I decided we would fish there.

Andy's swim was full of barbel

Andy’s swim was full of barbel

Pole was the chosen method starting at about 5 mts in the deep margins, loose feeding with 4mm hard feed carp pellets with a banded 4mm on a 16 hook. Both anglers were soon catching. It was just steady at first and then the catch rate increased. In the last hour it was a fish every put in. Andy’s swim was full of quality barbel and Kevin was catching mainly carp until the last hour when he also had a good run of big barbel.

a 3lb mirror carp

a 3lb mirror carp

Both anglers had reached their 50lb net limit and were returning fish as they caught them. We left the bank at 4pm. Kevin had caught close to 150lbs and Andy about 140. A great result for anglers who very rarely fish with a pole. I think I may have converted them now.

Bob

Here the pictures:

Yes, it's mine!

Yes, it’s mine!

a 4lb barbel in perfect condition

a 4lb barbel in perfect condition

a beautiful 13lb mirror carp

a beautiful 13lb mirror carp

almost in the net

almost in the net

a big common carp about 7lbs

a big common carp about 7lbs