­
Bob Nudd

Jonny Bridgeman Masterclass Day Decoy Lakes

John caught the biggest fish of the day a big mirror carp just under 16lbs

John caught the biggest fish of the day a big mirror carp just under 16lbs

This was a special birthday present from Jonny’s partner Gemma Wright. His good fishing friend Ashley and dad John had also come along for the day. The wonderful Decoy lakes near Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire was the chosen venue. Diane the owner had kindly allowed them to use keepnets.

Jonny's swim was full of quality barbel

Jonny’s swim was full of quality barbel

It was a warm sunny morning with a moderate southerly wind. I decided that Cedar lake would be a good choice, as the barbel had been showing well.

Ashley with a 4lb barbel

Ashley with a 4lb barbel

Pole at 8 mts was the chosen method, loose feeding with 4mm hard feed carp pellets with a 6mm banded pellet on the hook. It was a slow start with just the odd carp taking the hookbait. Some cold water was being pumped into the lake. At about 1pm the pumps were switched off and the barbel really started to feed with Jonny catching fish after fish nearly all were quality barbell. John hooked and landed the biggest fish of the day: a mirror carp about 16lbs. Ashley was catching a mixture of carp and barbel. By 3 pm Jonny had reached his net limit.

Jonny with his first fish

Jonny with his first fish

We left the bank at about 4.30 pm Jonny having had a brilliant day catching 70lbs of barbel and a similar weight of carp, a total weight of about 140lbs. Ashley had also done well considering he was helping his dad for a lot of the day and I guess he had caught about 80lbs. John did not use a keepnet but had caught 22 fish including 2 double figure carp.

Bob

Some more pictures:

almost in the net

almost in the net

a big barbel close to 5lbs

a big barbel close to 5lbs

this feels like a big fish

this feels like a big fish

just in the net

just in the net

a big mirror carp close to 8lbs

a big mirror carp close to 8lbs