­
Bob Nudd

Alan Wheble Masterclass Day Decoy Lakes

brilliant catch Alan

brilliant catch Alan

This was a special 30th wedding anniversary present from Alan’s wife Nina. The wonderful Decoy lakes near Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire was the chosen venue. Diane the owner had kindly allowed them to use keepnets.

Alan with his first fish

Alan with his first fish

It was a warm overcast morning with a light North Easterly wind and a threat of storms later in the day. I decided that Elm lake with its big head of barbel would be a good place to fish.

Steve with his first fish

Steve with his first fish

Pole at 9 mts was the chosen method, loose feeding 4mm hard feed carp pellets with a 6mm banded pellet on the hook. Alan hooked into a F1 within a minute. 2 more followed quickly after. Steve had a slower start but was soon catching. It was nonstop action with Alan catching fish after fish including some quality barbell. Steve switched to the margins in the last hour and had a good run of big carp.

almost in the net

almost in the net

We left the bank at about 3pm when a large clap of thunder heralded the arrival of the storms that had been forecast. Both anglers had reached their net limit early and I guess that they had caught similar weights of fish, each about 140lbs.

Bob

Here the pictures:

a 3lb barbel

a 3lb barbel

my first ever barbel

my first ever barbel

a 6lb mirror carp

a 6lb mirror carp

just in the net

just in the net

another quality barbel

another quality barbel