­
Bob Nudd

John Gamble Masterclass Day Decoy lakes

brilliant catch John

brilliant catch John

This was a special 50th anniversary present arranged by John’s wife and his daughter Joanne. Her husband David had also come along for the day. They had both been out with me 2 years before. The wonderful Decoy lakes near Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire was the chosen venue. Diane the owner had kindly allowed them to use nets.

John's first fish a 4lb mirror carp

John’s first fish a 4lb mirror carp

It was an overcast spring morning with a moderate cool westerly wind. Saturdays are always busy here, but luckily Beastie lake was free as it was officially closed for the day to give it a rest.

David with his first fish

David with his first fish

John opted to fish the pole and David the method feeder. Both anglers were quickly into fish. John was loose feeding 4mm hard carp pellets with a banded 4mm pellet on the hook. Carp, tench and barbel were coming to the net almost nonstop. David was a little slower in numbers but his fish were all big. He did switch to pole in the afternoon and immediately after a long battle, hooked and landed a double figure common carp, which we returned to the water. John had reached his net limit by 2 pm and was returning the fish as he caught them.

We left the bank at about 4pm. I guess John had caught close to 140lbs and David about 120lbs.

Bob

Some more pictures:

a 2lb tench

a 2lb tench

a 6lb mirror carp

a 6lb mirror carp

Yes, it's mine!

Yes, it’s mine!

a 5lb common carp

a 5lb common carp

just in the net

just in the net