­
Bob Nudd

Richard Kozial Masterclass Day Ely Forest

fantastic roach catch Richard

fantastic roach catch Richard

Richard had booked me for the day to improve his skills with the feeder. He was already a very skilled float angler, but had never been shown how to fish the feeder.

Richard with his first roach close to 12ozs

Richard with his first roach close to 12ozs

The venue was the beautiful Ely forest section of Lower lough Erne near Enniskillen in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. It was a cool morning with a strong south easterly wind.

fishing conditions were quite difficult

fishing conditions were quite difficult

Groundbait mix was 50% Van Den Eynde Superlake and 50% brown crumb, mixed fairly dry so that it would explode from the feeder. Casters and maggots were added to the mix. A medium 35 gram Browning Window feeder with a 50 cm hook length and a size 14 B560 hook completed the terminal tackle.

a 35g medium Browning Window feeder was the main attack

a 35g medium Browning Window feeder was the main attack

It took about 30 minutes of continual casting to produce the first roach. Using the line clip on the reel and casting to a marker on the far bank ensured perfect accuracy, which is so important for catching consistently.

a beautiful roach close to 1lb

a beautiful roach close to 1lb

Richard was a quick learner and soon he was casting perfectly. Once the fish had arrived, the action was so quick, that as soon as the feeder hit bottom the tip was going round, as the roach took the 3 red maggot hook bait.

an 8ozs roach is swung to hand

an 8ozs roach is swung to hand

We left the bank at about 5pm and I guess Richard had caught close to 40lbs of prime Erne roach.

Bob

A few more pictures:

just ready for the net

just ready for the net

Yes, it's mine!

Yes, it’s mine!

all the fish were in perfect condition

all the fish were in perfect condition

Richard never stopped smiling

Richard never stopped smiling

another quality roach

another quality roach